Diveristy in Friendship
by Antone R.E. Pierucci
HERE FOR MASONIC SENIORS
MASONIC OUTREACH SERVICES OFFERS SUPPORT FOR SENIORS – AT NO CHARGE
If you, a loved one, or a lodge brother or widow needs support, Masonic Senior Outreach Services (MSOS) may be able to help. Managed by the Masonic Homes of California, this program provides a number of valuable resources to help Masonic seniors in need – even those who have moved out of state – at no charge. To learn more about all Masonic Outreach Services resources, call the Masonic Assistance line at (888) 466-3642 or visit masonichome.org/msos.
INFORMATION AND REFERRALS
When a crisis arises, it can be difficult to figure out how or where to start seeking help, but there are typically a wide variety of resources available for seniors right in your own community. Specially trained MSOS staff can help you identify and connect with them – from home care and transportation to senior programs and veterans’ benefits.
When eligible Masonic seniors face declining health, isolation, loss of a spouse, or other challenges, MSOS can provide ongoing support. Through a regular schedule of visits and telephone contact, our care managers help navigate health and financial matters, and advocate for important services and benefits. We can also reestablish contact between the fraternal family member and his home lodge, a powerful support network.
MSOS offers financial support for eligible Masons age 60+ and their wives, widows, or mothers. This assistance ensures that elder fraternal family can age with dignity and confidence, knowing that all their basic needs will be met. Support is need-based, flexible, and ongoing.
SHARED HOUSING PROGRAM*
Independent MSOS clients ages 62 plus may be eligible for our Shared Housing Program. Located on the campus of the Covina Masonic Home, beautiful, newly renovated homes include private bedroom and bathroom suites, as well as fully furnished common areas. Suitable for individuals and married couples who are interested in a community-minded living environment.
CONTACTING MASONIC OUTREACH SERVICES IS EASY
- Just call (888) 466-3642. The MSOS phone line is open Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- If you are calling to make a referral for someone other than yourself, it is important to have that person’s permission to make a referral. The best process is for the person needing assistance to make the call, or to be with you when you call. This allows the person needing assistance to be involved with the process from the start.
- Be prepared: In-depth intake calls take anywhere from 30-60 minutes. If you will be requesting case management or financial assistance, you will need to provide information regarding your financial eligibility.
- If you believe that a member of your lodge may need assistance, and need help initiating a conversation with them, please contact the master of your lodge or your local Lodge Outreach Program coordinator.
- For more information about MSOS services, visit masonichome.org/msos
∗Please note that the programs marked with an asterisk are need-based. Master Masons in good standing for five consecutive years or more, or their eligible wife or widow (or in extraordinary cases – mother) are eligible for assistance. The best time to create a supportive framework is before you need it.
The Masonic Homes of California has cared for Masonic family members for more than 100 years. Throughout that time, it has evolved into an organization that provides comprehensive support to Masonic families at every stage of life through best practice focused, patient-centered care. As a richly multigenerational organization, it is likely that at some point in our lives, we will all care for, or receive care from, a family member or loved one. Through articles like this one, the Masonic Homes experienced professional staff provides guidance, insight, and support.
Visit our New Community at The Pavilion at the Masonic Homes
PHOTO CREDIT: iStock Photo